Top 5 Skills to Evaluate During Baseball Tryouts
As a coach or scout, identifying the right talent through baseball evaluations is crucial for forming a winning team. In this article, we will delve into the top 5 skills to evaluate during baseball tryouts, providing you with actionable insights and expert advice to help you make informed decisions. Whether you are a seasoned pro or just starting to coach, this guide will empower you to build a competitive and successful baseball team.
Top 5 Baseball Skills to Evaluate
In this section, we’ll explore the core baseball skills that should be on your radar when conducting tryouts. These skills are essential for any player aspiring to excel in the sport or can be used to create a baseball tryout plan.
1) Hitting Proficiency
To assess a player’s hitting abilities, pay close attention to their stance, swing mechanics, and contact rate. Look for consistency in hitting the ball, as well as the ability to adjust to different pitches. Players who can consistently make solid contact are valuable assets to any team.
Techniques to increase hitting proficiency
- Batting stance: Practice finding a comfortable and balanced stance with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent.
- Swing mechanics: Work on a smooth and level swing path, keeping your hands close to your body during the swing.
- Tee drills: Use a batting tee to practice hitting balls at different locations in the strike zone to improve accuracy.
- Live pitching: Face live pitching from a coach or teammate to simulate game situations and practice timing.
2) Fielding Skills
Evaluate a player’s fielding skills by observing their ability to catch, throw, and make quick decisions in the field. Look for players with good hand-eye coordination, a strong arm, and agility. A skilled fielder can save runs and turn the tide of a game.
Techniques to increase fielding skills
- Ground ball drills: Practice fielding ground balls by taking short hops and maintaining proper glove positioning.
- Catching fly balls: Work on tracking and catching fly balls while focusing on the ball’s trajectory.
- Quick throws: Practice fast and accurate throws to specific bases to get the ball back into play efficiently.
- Reaction drills: Use reaction drills to improve your ability to respond quickly to unexpected plays.
3) Speed and Agility
Baseball often hinges on speed and agility. Assess players’ rates on the bases and in the field. Speedy players can steal bases, cover ground in the outfield, and turn singles into extra-base hits. Agility is equally essential, especially for infielders who need to react quickly to ground balls.
Techniques to increase speed and agility
- Base running: Practice stealing bases and making quick decisions on when to advance or hold your position.
- Ladder drills: Use agility ladder drills to improve footwork and quick lateral movements.
- Cone drills: Set up cones to simulate agility courses and work on changing direction rapidly.
- Sprinting: Incorporate sprinting drills to enhance straight-line speed on the basepaths.
4) Pitching Ability
For pitchers, focus on accuracy, velocity, and control. Analyze their pitching mechanics, including the delivery, release point, and ability to locate pitches accurately. A strong pitcher can dominate the game and keep opponents at bay.
Techniques to increase pitching ability
- Mechanical drills: Focus on maintaining consistent mechanics with each pitch, paying attention to your wind-up and release.
- Location practice: Work on hitting specific spots in the strike zone, both inside and outside.
- Changeup development: Develop a reliable changeup to complement your fastball and breaking pitches.
- Pitching sequencing: Practice choosing the right pitches for different situations and batters.
5) Baseball IQ
Baseball IQ encompasses a player’s understanding of the game, situational awareness, and decision-making skills. Observe how players react to different game situations, whether making the right play, knowing when to steal a base, or executing a sacrifice bunt. A high baseball IQ can give your team a competitive edge.
Techniques to Increase Baseball IQ
- Situational awareness: Study game situations and scenarios to understand when to bunt, steal, or take an extra base.
- Game simulation: Simulate game situations during practice, including inning, score, and base runner positions.
- Video analysis: Review game footage to analyze your decision-making and identify areas for improvement.
- Pitch recognition: Work on recognizing different pitches early to make better decisions at the plate.
Utilizing Technology: SkillShark Evaluation App
In the modern era of baseball, technology has become an invaluable tool for player and coach development. There’s nothing wrong with using the regular pen-and-paper method for assessing Major League, Little League, and Youth athletes. However, we highly encourage the SkillShark Evaluation App that can revolutionize your tryout process and eliminate the drawback of using an evaluation form. This baseball evaluation app allows coaches to track player progress by recording and analyzing their performance in various skills.
Sports Evaluation Spreadsheets
In addition to the SkillShark Evaluation App, sports evaluation spreadsheets are another valuable resource. You can use them to input data, calculate scores, and compare players side-by-side.
Sports evaluation spreadsheets like our downloadable baseball evaluation form provide a structured approach to player assessment. However, we highly recommend the sports evaluation app over the spreadsheet due to its higher efficiency and user-friendliness, real-time insights, secure cloud-based storage and customization.
Come join us for FREE
Sign up your first 25 athletes for free with SkillShark
Evaluating skills during baseball tryouts is a critical component in building a successful team. By focusing on hitting proficiency, fielding skills, speed and agility, pitching ability, and baseball IQ, you can make informed decisions and select players who have the potential to excel on the field.
Incorporate these insights into your next baseball evaluation processes, and remember that a well-rounded team with players who excel in these top 5 skills will be better equipped to compete and achieve victory on the baseball diamond.
Explore specific baseball drills to run during tryouts, bringing you one step closer to selecting a well-rounded team!
Want to learn how Skillshark works?
The SkillShark product demo is the best way to learn. This includes white-glove setup of your evaluation, tour of SkillShark, and free 25 player trial.
Explore how SkillShark has transformed sports organizations and academies through real-life success stories. Join our community and start simplifying your baseball evaluations today.
If you’re a coach, you need to take advantage of SkillShark. I’ve been coaching softball for more than 20 years and SkillShark is by far the most convenient and effective evaluation tool on the market.
Head Coach – Cougars
We’ve evaluated approximately 1200 players this season. It was super simple and convenient. Data entry usually took us eight hours a day, for fifteen consecutive days. With the volume of athletes that we need to process in one event, SkillShark has probably saved me about 120 hours overall.
Owner/Operating at Going Yard Baseball
In the past our evaluations were done with a pad and paper and there were always many errors. We spent so much time on evaluations we would work sometime until midnight. With SkillShark we reduced our overtime and it paid for itself in the first evaluation.
Lloydminster Hockey Association